Yes, I know this a latino food blog, but I can’t help myself sometimes when it comes to Italian food. I just love pasta. (FYI… This is not my first pasta recipe on this blog.)
I made a lasagna the other day with this amazing cashew cheese recipe I found online, and it came out so amazing that I had to share a picture I took of it on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Once I posted the picture a few of my followers started asking for the recipe. How can I say no to them?
I never thought that homemade cashew cheese would taste so damn good. It kinda reminded me of ricotta cheese. Hence, I thought making a lasagna with it would be amazing. I was right. It came out delish. Hope you enjoy it as much as my son and I did. We liked it so much we had seconds.
PS. You’ll have to make the cashew cheese in advance, because it needs to sit for 24 hours before you can use it.
Cashew Cheese Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1/3 cup water (more if needed)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
Cashew Cheese Preparation:
- Place the cashews in a medium bowl, cover with fresh water, and let stand for at least 2 hours.
- Drain the nuts and place them in a food processor or blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix until smooth. Add a little more water, if necessary, and blend again to adjust the consistency; the cheese will get a little more solid as it sets.
- Transfer to a bowl, and let it set in a cool place for 24 hours (covered) before placing in the fridge. It can last for about 5 days in the fridge.
Makes about 1 1/2 cup.
- 1 1/2 cup cashew cheese (recipe above)
- 7 Lasagna Noodles
- 3/4 cup Vegan, Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I used Daiya, but you can use any other brand. You may also use mozzarella flavored vegan cheese, if you prefer, instead.)
- 1 1/2 cup Pasta Sauce
- 3 tbsp Coconut or Olive Oil to cook the noodles
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- An 8×8 baking dish
- Boil enough water to cover the lasagna noodles plus one inch, and prepare according to directions on the package (using the oil and salt).
- Once the pasta noodles are cooked, make sure to run them through enough cold water to cool them off before handling.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread enough cashew cheese to barely cover the bottom of the pan.
- Place 3 lasagna noodles on top of the “cheese”. The noodles will be longer than the pan, so simply cut off the remaining piece and continue using it to assemble the dish. (Or, if you’re like me, you’ll break the noodles in half before boiling.)
- Once you’ve covered the cashew cheese with the noodles, spread more cheese on top, then spread 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce.
- Place more noodles on top, and continue assembling the lasagna until you have 3 layers of noodles, using 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce on each layer.
- Finally sprinkle the cheddar “cheese” on top.
- Once you’re done, place the lasagna in the oven at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes to heat through.
NOTE: If you have noodles leftover you can simply layer them on top of the last layer before spreading the last of the “cheese” and sauce, or save them for something else.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Tip: You can serve with salad and/or vegan garlic bread.